Academic Senate Goals for 2020-2021
Approved October 7, 2020
The goals of the Academic Senate for the academic year 2020-2021 will be to a) promote b) disseminate understanding about, and c) implement throughout the institution in the identified specific ways the legally defined purview of the senate, to wit:
A. Items to agendize and complete this year.
- Finish revising Faculty Hiring Policy/Procedure, with a focus on promoting more diverse hiring. (Ed Code 87360, sections a, b, c)
- Revise Equivalency Policy/Procedure and complete process (College Council) for increasing size of Equivalency Committee. (Ed Code 87360, sections a, b, c; 6)
- Provide annual anti‐racism training for the Senate. (8)
- Review Curriculum Review Committee’s revision of the Curriculum Writer’s Handbook. (1)
- Strengthen professional development opportunities, specifically those addressing anti-racism, EDI, and cultural competency; hiring committee members’ role in supporting the College’s efforts to diversify the faculty; and other faculty‐identified needs. (8)
- Resolution on budget values based on Senate discussion. (10)
B. In progress.
- Work on Black Student Union (BSU) Demands that are within Senate purview; Black Studies and Ethnic Studies Task Force work. (1, 2, 4, 10) (See C.2 – 5 for more on BSU Demands.)
- Expand the Academic Senate Executive Committee. (Ed Code 87360, sections a, b, c)
- Transition Guided Pathways to design phase; consider GP via equity lens. (1, 4, 5, 8, 10)
- Promote class size limits based solely on pedagogy. (4, 5, 10)
C. District, faculty, and/or student projects & interests to support through collaboration, professional development, and/or Senate resolution.
- Participate in the accreditation process. (7)
- Support establishment of an Office for Black Student Development; take active role in Office’s student success and educational initiatives. (4, 5; BSU Demand)
- Participate in College‐wide discussions about funding for District Police. (10; BSU Demand)
- Support departments’ and disciplines’ development of comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum. (1, 8; BSU Demand)
- Increase the number of BIPOC faculty members at SRJC. (Ed Code 87360, sections a, b, c; BSU Demand)
- Hire more contract faculty members. (Ed Code 87360, sections a, b, c)
- Partner with the District on practices and policy regarding a safe, supportive, and welcoming environment for BIPOC members of College community.
- Support District work to address racism across the College.
- Support College efforts toward restorative justice regarding equity work.
- Address issues related to a dramatic increase in online instruction during the current pandemic and beyond and address how this relates to the statewide course exchange.
Academic Senate Goals for 2019-2020
The goals of the Academic Senate for the academic year 2019-2020 will be to a) promote b) disseminate understanding about, and c) implement throughout the institution in the identified specific ways the legally defined purview of the senate, to wit:
|1. CURRICULUM including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines||
|2. DEGREE AND CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS||
|3. GRADING POLICIES||
|4. EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT||
|5. Standards and policies regarding STUDENT PREPARATION AND SUCCESS||
|6. District and college GOVERNANCE STRUCTURES, as related to FACULTY ROLES||
|7. FACULTY ROLES AND INVOLVEMENT IN ACCREDITATION, including self-study and annual reports||
|8. Policies for FACULTY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES||
|9. PROCESSES FOR PROGRAM REVIEW||
|10. PROCESSES FOR INSTITUTIONAL PLANNING AND BUDGET DEVELOPMENT||
|+ 1 OTHER as mutually agreed upon||